Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Taranga Zoo and more

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone is well back home. I miss it, but I am having a lot of fun and getting an amazing experience here.
Student teaching has been great! We have some of the sweetest kids ever! Since it is such a small school they don't really have much of a choice of who to be friends with and who not to be, so they are all just friends :). I have been teaching about the solar system. I have done an entire unit on this before, so it was perfect. I am learning so much on how to adapt things for certain students and how to manage my time, it goes really fast in the classroom! My cooperating teacher is amazing! She is so nice to me and is very relaxed in the classroom, which I am learning to be! We get more done this way instead of pushing the kids anyway. Actually, I am trying to relax more about a lot of things in life and I think this trip is helping me with that. I have been hanging out with Nadeane (my cooperating teacher) a lot at her beautiful home on the river. It is really nice and I enjoy going there!!
On Sunday I went to the Taranga Zoo with my friend Cait and my roommate Fiona. It was really cool and I finally got to see a kangaroo. My favorite are the Koalas though. We took a picture with them and I even got to see a baby. It was very cute!! We had to take a Ferry to get there, which I have done a couple of times now. They are really cool and I get to see a lot of pretty scenery along the way.

Random things:
~I tried squid, and it was actually pretty good
~I got into a fender bender with my friend Cait They don't call the cops here for that unless it is $10,000 damage or more.
~A box of Fruit Loops costs $8, let's just say I stopped eating them :(
~Skittles are different here too, they have blackberry instead of grape
~I ate a hamburger the last night. I know that shouldn't be different, but I never eat them at home. I liked it too.
~The toilets do not flush backwards, but they do have a 1/2 and full flush (you can probably figure that out)
~I have not seen many wild animals, just some pretty birds. I am in a suburb so kangaroos don't just hop on through. :) Actually, wallabys (small kangaroo) are more common)
~I think I am going to have a problem driving when I get home, because I am getting used to riding on the wrong side.
~I got a pedicure the other day, but it was nothing like my moms!!
~Jeans cost about $180

Aussie Words
No Worries
heaps
keen
rubbish

No comments: